Sunday, March 7, 2010

Wedding Rings

I hardly ever shoot weddings. In fact, my first wedding was February 27th with Jeff Franks. I got some decent shots, but nothing was that great. Weddings are very hectic. They require a lot of concentration and planning both ahead of time and during the wedding itself. I admire anybody that can do that day in and day out....it's quite something. 
So, if you're married, or are going to get married, give your photographer a pat on the back....it takes a lot of skill to do what they do. It's just not as simple as pressing a button.


Jeff divides his other photographers into teams. I was on Steve Glass' team. He's awesome. I met him at a David Zeiser workshop back in November. Apparently Jeff was there but we never formally met. Steve then introduced me to Jeff who is one of the most generous and just plain nicest guys I've ever met.
Anyway, getting back to my drivel the original point of this paragraph, Steve has a lot of talent. He knows more about light than anybody I know. He's like a walking light dictionary. It's pretty cool some of the stuff he comes up with. Take a look at his blog (link in my "Favorite Blogs" section on the right).


I came up with an idea (well, I've seen it done so I suggested the idea to Steve) for this wedding. Ever seen wedding rings balanced between the pages of a Bible with a strong back light that creates a heart shaped shadow in the crease? It's very cliche, but very cool when done right.


Steve held his Lowell iD light for me while I shot it. Then we switched places. Mine turned out pretty well however I think his was a bit better because you can see the whole Bible in the shot....you can only see part of it in mine. But, it's interesting how two people can have the exact same scene, the exact same lighting and for the most part, the exact same camera capabilities but get two totally different pictures. 


Anyway, here's mine. I'd love to hear some feedback from all of you. Let me know what you think.

That's all for now, folks. More later.
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment